Do you have swimmer’s ear?
Town & Country Pool Builders explain “swimmer’s ear”
Swimmer’s ear is something that many people who spend a lot of hours in the pool may be prone to. What is swimmer’s ear (also called otitis externa)? A condition that can be painful and impacts the outer ear and ear canal. It seems to mainly impact children and teens who spend a lot of time in the pool. If you own a pool, of course they’re in it a lot, right?
The swimming pool builders from Town & Country Pool Builders say swimmer’s ear symptoms are easy to recognize, In some cases it can be cured through “home remedies” and definitely by your family physician. The name can be misleading because you can get swimmer’s ear from spending time in the shower or bath.
Here are some of the causes of swimmer’s ear:
- Cleaning your ears with cotton swabs can damage the lining of the ear canal and lead to an infection.
- Too much moisture in the ear canal.
- Using earplugs or headphones increases your risk
Symptoms to watch out for:
- Your ear is painful when you touch it.
- The outer ear could be red and might drain
- You may have ringing in your ear
Here are a few ways to cure it:
- A visit to the doctor who will prescribe medication for symptom relief
- Over the counter pain medications
- Apply heat to the sore ear to relieve pain
- Staying out of the pool until it’s cleared up
- Wearing a shower cap to avoid getting water in your ear when bathing or showering
Your swimming pool contractor will keep your swimming pool water bacteria-free and this, in addition to keeping water out of your ears could prevent swimmer’s ear.
Featured Inground Pool Projects
Town & Country Pools is a premier inground swimming pool installer specializing in custom inground pool, hot tub, and infinity edge swimming pool designs. Town & Country pools is Maryland, Northern Virginia, & Washington DC's premier luxury inground pool builder.