Prepare your home and yard for winter
Town & Country Pool Builders, serving Virginia, DC & Maryland talk autumn clean up
You know that not long after Labor Day you will be making a phone call to your swimming pool contractor from Town & Country Pools to talk about closing the pool for winter. Labor Day, many people feel is the unofficial end to summer and chances are you will have had a final swimming party in the works. Once that is over though it might be time to give your yard and your home a once over to make sure it’s ready for the upcoming cooler and potentially snowy weather.
The swimming pool contractors from Town & Country Pools offer these indoor and outdoor and swimming pool items to address:
- Get ready to store your pool and patio furniture. Wash it, dry it and find a place to store it. Wash any rafts or inflatables before you take the air out. Don’t store anything unless it is completely dry to prevent mold growth.
- Clean your deck. If it needs a new coat of paint or stain, do it before the snow flies. Remove flaking paint. Washing it. Sand down rough areas then paint or stain.
- Your swimming pool contractor can get you on a calendar to come and close your pool for the season on a time you’ve chosen. You may be cleaning up your backyard and getting your home ready for the season, but may not want to close the pool just yet.
- Make certain the windows and doors in your home are properly caulked and weather proofed.
- Drain garden hoses and store them. Turn off the exterior faucets.
- Check and clean your home’s gutters and make certain the downspouts aren’t pointing toward the swimming pool.
- Make “autumn” cleaning as much of a tradition as spring cleaning. Clean your closets. Clean your kitchen cupboards and cabinets. Clean out the refrigerator. Have the carpets cleaned. Wash the walls. Clean the furniture! Since your home will be closed up for so many months, make certain you’re breathing clean air.
- Have your furnace cleaned and inspected before it turns on the first time of the season.
Winter is a fact of life. Embrace it assured in the knowledge that summer will be here before you know it!