Monthly Archives: January 2014
When it comes to cool fun under the hot summer sun there’s nothing better than staycation fun in your own Virginia swimming pool. With your own pool you don’t have to fight the crowds to get to a beach nor do you have to swim through the masses at a resort swimming pool. Having your own pool means you can save money (and travel time) and have vacation fun without the hassle of packing up the family and dealing with busy roadways and frustrating airline travel. With the money you will save on gasoline or airline tickets, you can talk with a swimming pool contractor in Virginia about upgrading it, enhancing your outdoor living area, or even adding a spa or hot tub. If you don’t already have a swimming pool, this would be the ideal time to begin the conversations to have one installed before the summer hits!
Adults and children both love the opportunity to frolic in the swimming pool and it’s not only a great way for some family bonding time, but it’s a great way to sneak in exercise as well. Your children can add to their fun by inviting a few friends over for an impromptu pool party. Because you have the swimming pool, it’s a party waiting to happen and all you have to do is add in some snacks, drinks a few swimming pool toys and voila – they’re all set. All you have to do is sit back on the deck and supervise.
If your children are avid swimmers look for toys they can jump into the water and dive for – those toys will make for a great game of treasure hunting. Look for diving eggs, sticks or rings; you want to make certain none of the toys are small enough to get stuck in a filter or drain screen. Also, if your children are jumping or diving into the water, you must be even more diligent to make certain no one gets injured and that no one runs into trouble underwater. Remember too, unless you have an inground pool with a deep end, there is no diving allowed and impress upon the swimmers that they shouldn’t jump into the water unless there is a clear spot. If your children aren’t swimmers, they can still bob under water and retrieve items tossed into the shallow end of the pool.
Pick up some blow up beach balls or rafts for the swimmers. Beach balls lead to an immediate game of “volley ball” regardless of whether you have a net and rafts lend themselves to floating and relaxation. If you and your kids are into active water sport games, consider adding a basketball hoop that’s specifically designed for swimming pools. You can play a pick-up game or HORSE. If you or your children want to try some more solo-type activities pick up some motorized pool toys – think sharks or submarines. The motorized toys can be used by the kids to see who can catch it first, or who is fastest – the children or the toys.
At the end of the day, having a swimming pool in your backyard is all about relaxation and fun. Make certain you have enough bath towels, lounge chairs, waterproof cushions and sunscreen available. Just because you’re staying home this summer doesn’t mean you can’t have fun and make memories! The swimming pool builders at Town & Country Pools work with long time pool owners to provide renovation options or they will help you from the first shovel in the ground to taking care of your new swimming pool on a regular basis.
Because many swimming pool owners are wary about their children swimming in eco-friendly pools that are cleaned with chemical methods, many swimming pool contractors in the Maryland area have been helping them come up with methods of keeping the pool water clean, clear and bacteria free that do not incorporate the use of chemicals. Chlorine, even in well balanced pool water, can be drying and irritating to adult skin and can be even more so with the delicate skin of children.
There are myriad options for making your backyard swimming pool more environmentally friendly and there are ways of using fewer chemicals and the swimming pool builders from Town & Country Pools offer some tips here for those pool owners considering a switch to greener practices in 2014 or as part of a renovation project.
- Chlorine has negative impacts on both the environment and your skin, eyes and hair when you’re swimming. Swimming pools can be cleaned with salt water systems or through the use of an ionizer – this method uses silver ions and copper to clean the bacteria, viruses and algae in the water. With one of these ionization systems you can cut down on the use of chlorine – in some cases you can stop using it at all other than for the occasional shock treatment.
- If you feel that you want to heat your swimming pool water consider investing in an eco-friendly solar heating panel system rather than heating with propane or gas heaters. Solar heating is as effective as other types of heaters to keep the water warm. Once you’ve made the investment in the solar panels, the cost to heat the water is zero.
- Swimming pool covers provide so many benefits that include helping keep the water clean, cutting back on evaporation and keeping the water warmer. Using a solar blanket and a swimming pool cover will help trap up to 70% of the pool’s heat and minimize evaporation. A solar blankets are inexpensive and can make a big impact on your heating bills for the pool. Additionally, using a swimming pool cover will help with evaporation and save money on having to refill the pool.
- Run your pool equipment on timers and also ask about variable speed pumps and energy efficient equipment for your pool. Using timers for pool pumps and filters and running pumps on off-peak electricity hours can save you money as well as help your pool go green. A timer is an inexpensive investment that reaps large rewards.
- Consider a switch to LED or fiber optic lights both in your pool and around the outdoor living space. This type of lighting is more cost cost effective and last longer than incandescent bulbs.
Talk with your swimming pool contractor about other ways you can incorporate greener, more environmentally (and skin) friendly practices into your swimming pool.
How much time do you spend outside in the summertime in and around your swimming pool? Chances are, it is countless hours and while you spend much of that time in the water itself, what does your outdoor living space look like? Is it a complement to your swimming pool and to the rest of your backyard? If you’re considering an upgrade or update to your outdoor living area, talk with your swimming pool builders and renovation professionals from Town & Country Pools and uncover what you might want to do to breathe new life into the outdoor living area. Find a landscape theme that melds the beauty of the swimming pool with your entertaining and lifestyle.
Because your swimming pool builder or swimming pool service contractor spends so much time in and around your pool and backyard, he is the ideal go-to person on the type of landscaping plans that will not only suit your pool, but the slope and style of the backyard itself. Here from swimming pool contractors in Virginia are items to consider:
- Thumb through magazines for ideas that speak to you and your unique style. Do you want clean lines or a feeling of a tropical, secluded jungle or anything in between?
- Plants are lovely and useful for shade additions to a landscaping project but you need to chose plants that won’t lure bees to your poolside. You also need to find a plant that will not be dropping leaves into the water. Trees with spreading roots can damage the underground plumbing of your swimming pool. Low maintenance plant choices are your best options – look for evergreen trees, ornamental grasses and long palm fronds or even potted plants add ambiance without the risk of pool damage.
- Fencing should be considered part of the landscape as well as being a safety measure. Today’s fences are beautiful and functional. A fence acts as a windbreak and that will diminish the dirt and debris that makes its way into your pool. A fence can also help slow the rate of water evaporation when the wind blows across the surface.
- Outdoor lighting adds to the safety and the beauty of your outdoor living space. Also, adding LED lights to the pool itself is a great way to illuminate the deep end and/or the pool stairs.
- Don’t forget the paths of ingress and egress to the swimming pool. Look for patio paving materials that are both non slip and comfortable for bare feet. Patio pavers offer many style, pattern and colors, and they also move, which makes them ideal in colder areas of the country in which freezing and thawing are issues.
A landscaping of your outdoor living space may also take a bold step and include an outdoor kitchen or a pool house. Your choices are limited only by your budget and your imagination!
No longer are spas and hot tubs bulky objects, they are sleek, streamlined structures that fit into many backyard landscape designs. Hot tubs and spas are luxurious water-filled objects of relaxation have come a long way since they were first on the market. Swimming pool and hot tub contractors in Maryland work with potential hot tub owners on a regular basis.
Today’s hot tubs are made of a more lightweight acrylic or thermoplastic, rather than the original cedar or redwood models of the past. The model most homeowners choose for their portable hot tub is acrylic because they offer more options when it comes to design and features. As a matter of fact, it’s almost impossible to find a “plain round” model any longer because the buying public has demanded more of these relaxation units. These structures can also be installed to an end of a swimming pool rather than having it as a separate structure.
Prior to heading to the Town & Country Pools swimming pool builders’ showroom for your hot tub or spa purchase, take some time to research the options that come with hot tubs, determine the type of options accessories you want with yours. Set your budget before you set foot in the showroom, you don’t want to overspend or buy something you truly can’t afford. Remember, too depending on your budget you can likely find a pool professional who can design a spa in the shape of your choice with the accessories you’d like.
Even though these units are considered “portable” they will still need to be delivered to your home by a professional swimming pool and hot tub contractor in Virginia. Additionally, you will need to decide whether it will go on a corner of your existing deck, whether you will build a deck, or if you will want it placed in a corner of your yard. A hole will have to be excavated and plumbing and electric run before you fill it.
For some individuals who are seeking a hot tub or spa that may be portable in the event of a move, let your swimming pool contractor know that might be a potential decision you may need to make at some point so you buy the best hot tub for your needs.